Ubiquitin-like modifier involved in intra-Golgi traffic. Modulates intra-Golgi transport through coupling between NSF activity and SNAREs activation. It first stimulates the ATPase activity of NSF which in turn stimulates the association with GOSR1. Involved in autophagy. Plays a role in mitophagy which contributes to regulate mitochondrial quantity and quality by eliminating the mitochondria to a basal level to fulfill cellular energy requirements and preventing excess ROS production. Whereas LC3s are involved in elongation of the phagophore membrane, the GABARAP/GATE-16 subfamily is essential for a later stage in autophagosome maturation.
|Gene References into Functions
- This study reveals the important role of SERP1/Ysy6 and Atg8 in endoplasmic reticulum stress response and virulence in Candida albicans. PMID: 29544880
- Mechanism of cargo-directed Atg8 conjugation during selective autophagy has been described. PMID: 27879200
- rs12599322 in ATG8 was significantly associated with higher DNA damage levels in Chinese population. PMID: 28512061
- describe a protocol for the reconstituted conjugation systems for mammalian Atg8 homologs in vitro using purified recombinant Atg proteins and liposomes. PMID: 25181299
- Using X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy, the structural transition centered on the C-terminus of GATE-16 protein was identified. PMID: 26284781
- Results showed that the mRNA and protein levels of GABARAPL1 and GATE-16 were decreased in the cerebellum of multiple system atrophy relative to controls PMID: 22959883
- Lipidation of the LC3/GABARAP family of autophagy proteins relies on a membrane-curvature-sensing domain in Atg3. PMID: 24747438
- these results suggest that TRPML3 plays a role in autophagosome maturation through the interaction with GATE16, by providing Ca(2+) in the fusion process. PMID: 24269818
- low GABARAPL2/GATE-16 expression is associated with an immature myeloid leukemic phenotype and these proteins are necessary for neutrophil differentiation of APL cells PMID: 23891751
- TP53INP1, a tumor suppressor, interacts with LC3 and ATG8-family proteins through the LC3-interacting region (LIR) and promotes autophagy-dependent cell death. PMID: 22421968
- ATG8 proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex at the phagophore PMID: 23043107
- Legionella pneumophila could interfere with autophagy by using the bacterial effector protein RavZ to directly uncouple Atg8 proteins attached to phosphatidylethanolamine on autophagosome membranes. [RavZ] PMID: 23112293
- Binding of the Atg1/ULK1 kinase to the ubiquitin-like protein Atg8 regulates autophagy PMID: 22885598
- identified 14 TBC domain-containing Rab GAPs that bind directly to ATG8 modifiers and that colocalize with LC3-positive autophagy membranes in cells PMID: 22354992
- ORP7 negatively regulates GS28 protein stability via sequestration of GATE-16, and may mediate the effect of 25-OH on GS28 and Golgi function. PMID: 21669198
- The GATE-16 N termini in general and specific residues needed for the fusion activity are essential for the proteins role in autophagosome biogenesis. PMID: 21497758
- Atg4B possessed the broadest spectrum against all substrates, followed by Atg4A for ATG8 substrates PMID: 21177865
- The results indicate the essential role of the Atg8 system in the proper development of autophagic isolation membranes in mice. PMID: 18768753
- The autophagy-unrelated association of GFP-LC3 with protein aggregates is dependent on its interaction with p62. PMID: 18776740
||Cytoplasmic vesicle, autophagosome. Endoplasmic reticulum membrane. Golgi apparatus.
||Ubiquitous. Expressed at high levels in the brain, heart, prostate, ovary, spleen and skeletal muscle. Expressed at very low levels in lung, thymus and small intestine.