May be involved in adhesive interactions of activated T and NK cells during the late phase of the immune response. Promotes NK cell-target adhesion by interacting with PVR present on target cells. May function at a time after T and NK cells have penetrated the endothelium using integrins and selectins, when they are actively engaging diseased cells and moving within areas of inflammation.
|Gene References into Functions
- Lower CD96 expression was also observed in human IL-9(+) compared with IFN-gamma(+) T cells PMID: 29531070
- Blocking CD96 or TIGIT with mAbs has been shown to improve tumor control in mice. PMID: 27620276
- CD96 and CD123 are expressed in bone marrow cells of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes PMID: 26642704
- In the present study we analyzed the expression of four cell surface antigens relevant to human hematopoiesis-CD90, CD96, CD117, and CD123-in bone marrow from pediatric acute myeloid leukemia patients and normal control subjects. PMID: 24751333
- down-regulation of CD96 is an important aspect of HIV-1 pathogenesis and differential expression is related to cell effector functions and HIV-1 disease course. PMID: 23272144
- CD96 could serve as a target structure for effector cell-mediated lysis. PMID: 22879978
- The positive expression of CD96 on bone marrow hematopoietic stem cells in patients with acute leukemia may be associated with primary drug resistance, relapse and progression. PMID: 21729528
- CD96 promotes natural killer (NK) cell adhesion to target cells expressing the poliovirus receptor (PVR), stimulates cytotoxicity of activated NK cells, and mediates acquisition of PVR from target cells. PMID: 15034010
- CD96 is a cell surface marker present on many acute myeloid leukemia leukemic stem cells PMID: 17576927
- CD96-driven adhesion to CD155 may be crucial in developmental processes PMID: 19056733
|Involvement in disease
||C syndrome (CSYN)
||Membrane; Single-pass type I membrane protein.
||Expressed on normal T-cell lines and clones, and some transformed T-cells, but no other cultured cell lines tested. It is expressed at very low levels on activated B-cells.