||Broad specificity aminopeptidase which plays a role in the final digestion of peptides generated from hydrolysis of proteins by gastric and pancreatic proteases. Also involved in the processing of various peptides including peptide hormones, such as angiotensin III and IV, neuropeptides, and chemokines. May also be involved the cleavage of peptides bound to major histocompatibility complex class II molecules of antigen presenting cells. May have a role in angiogenesis and promote cholesterol crystallization.
|Gene References into Functions
- Data indicate that fluorogenic substrates can be successfully used to identify aminopeptidase N and to measure their activity in cell lysates. PMID: 26449746
- the LAP1 gene (TOR1AIP1) undergoes alternative splicing to originate three LAP1 isoforms (LAP1A, B and C). PMID: 25461922
- the anti-oxidant potential of APN in oxidative stress-associated cardiovascular diseases, such as hypertension-induced HF-preserved EF. PMID: 23894332
- This study demonistrated that aminopeptidase N were up-regulated ipsilaterally from 6 h to 7 days post ischemia PMID: 22373413
- Results suggest that the upregulation of serotonergic activity may be related to a lowered brain dipeptidyl peptidase III, alanyl- and arginyl aminopeptidase activity which may influence the cleavage of their substrates. PMID: 18547641
- hypothalamic CD13 plays a role in the regulation of energy metabolism not by means of puromycin-insensitive membrane-bound neutral aminopeptidase enzyme activity. PMID: 20851150
- The present study clearly demonstrated that the activities of AlaAP and CysAP in the hippocampus were associated with lateralization in normal rats. PMID: 20096929
- We therefore hypothesize that the effect of angiotensin IV on dopamine release in the striatum is mediated via activation of IRAP and/or AP-N, possibly acting as receptors for angiotensin IV. PMID: 17169335
- a possible association of the Anpep gene with hypertension in Dahl rat and raise the prospect that increased Anpep may play a mechanistic role in adaptation to high salt. PMID: 17242304
- These results demonstrate that expression of neprilysin and aminopeptidase N can be regulated when peptide neurons are activated and, that regulation is enzyme-, region-, and stage-specific. PMID: 17952634
||Cell membrane, Single-pass type II membrane protein
||Peptidase M1 family
||Widely distributed throughout the CNS. Particularly abundant in kidney and intestinal microvilli, also detected in lung and liver. Weakly expressed in heart and aorta.