ATP-dependent transporter of the ATP-binding cassette (ABC) family involved in the transport of very long chain fatty acid (VLCFA)-CoA from the cytosol to the peroxisome lumen. Like ABCD1 seems to have fatty acyl-CoA thioesterase (ACOT) and ATPase activities, according to this model, VLCFA-CoA as free VLCFA is transpoted in an ATP-dependent manner into peroxisomes after the hydrolysis of VLCFA-CoA mediated by the ACOT activity of ABCD2 (Probable). Shows overlapping substrate specificities with ABCD1 toward saturated fatty acids (FA) and monounsaturated FA (MUFA) but has a distinct substrate preference for shorter VLCFA (C22:0) and polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) such as C22:6-CoA and C24:6-CoA (in vitro). Thus, may play a role in regulation of VLCFAs and energy metabolism namely, in the degradation and biosynthesis of fatty acids by beta-oxidation.
|Gene References into Functions
- The functional integrity of ABCD2 may play an important role in OA pathogenesis via the accumulation of VLCFAs and stimulation of apoptotic death through altering profiles of miRNAs that target ACSL4. PMID: 30264402
- 13-cis-retinoic acid induces ABCD2 expression in human monocytes/macrophages. PMID: 25079382
- ABCD2 has a role, but not a strong one, in risk of early recurrent events after transient ischemic attack PMID: 25604068
- results show that although patients with ABCD2 score greater than 4 were more likely to develop recurrent TIA/CVA in short term, those with lesser score still harbour a considerable risk for TIA/CVA PMID: 24338191
- The transcriptional activity of the ABCD2 promoter was strongly increased by ectopic expression of beta-catenin and TCF-4. PMID: 23437103
- LXRalpha is a negative modulator of Abcd2, acting through a novel regulatory mechanism involving overlapping SREBP and LXRalpha binding sites PMID: 16249184
- Testosterone metabolites increased expression of ABCD2 mRNA in fibroblasts from X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy patients. PMID: 17602313
- These findings are of particular importance for the attempt of pharmacological induction of ABCD2 as a possible therapeutic approach in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy. PMID: 18834860
- LDRP (ABCD2) interacts with both farnesylated wild-type and farnesylation-deficient mutant PEX19. This interaction is mediated by amino acids 1-218 of ALDRP. PMID: 10777694
- ALDRP (ABCD2) homodimerizes via the C terminal half. This interaction is modelled on the demonstrated homodimerization of murine ALDRP (ABCD2). PMID: 10551832
- ALDRP interacts with PMP70. This interaction occurs via the ALDRP C-terminus [374-740] and the PMP70 C-terminus [338-659]. This interaction was demonstrated using human PMP70 and mouse ALDRP. PMID: 10551832
- ALDRP interacts with PEX19 splice variants PEX19-delta-E2 and PEX19-delta-E8. PMID: 11883941
||Peroxisome membrane; Multi-pass membrane protein.
||ABC transporter superfamily, ABCD family, Peroxisomal fatty acyl CoA transporter (TC 3.A.1.203) subfamily
||Predominantly expressed in brain and heart.