||Catalyzes the dehydration of methylthioribulose-1-phosphate (MTRu-1-P) into 2,3-diketo-5-methylthiopentyl-1-phosphate (DK-MTP-1-P). Functions in the methionine salvage pathway, which plays a key role in cancer, apoptosis, microbial proliferation and inflammation. May inhibit the CASP1-related inflammatory response (pyroptosis), the CASP9-dependent apoptotic pathway and the cytochrome c-dependent and APAF1-mediated cell death.
|Gene References into Functions
- Results suggest that APIP stimulates cell proliferation via ERBB3, acting in conjunction with ERBB2, in gastric cancer cells. PMID: 26942872
- APIP/MtnB functions as a cell death inhibitor independently of its MtnB enzyme activity for apoptosis induced by either hypoxia or etoposide, but dependently for caspase-1-induced pyroptosis PMID: 24367089
- these results confirm the involvement of APIP in the methionine salvage pathway, which plays a key role in many biological functions like cancer, apoptosis, microbial proliferation and inflammation. PMID: 23285211
- human APIP was overproduced in Escherichia coli, purified and crystallized. An X-ray diffraction data set was collected to 2.40 A resolution PMID: 23192037
- A polymorphism associated with reduced expression of a putative methionine salvage pathway dehydratase, apoptotic protease activating factor 1 (APAF1)-interacting protein (APIP), was associated with increased caspase-1-mediated cell death in Salmonella. PMID: 22837397
- The down-regulation of APIP and UACA expression suggests that the threshold to activate the apoptosome apparatus may be decreased in non-small cell lung cancer cells. PMID: 22407486
- APIP functions to inhibit muscle ischemic damage by binding to Apaf-1 in the Apaf-1/caspase-9 apoptosis pathway. PMID: 15262985
||Aldolase class II family, MtnB subfamily
||Isoform 1 is ubiquitously expressed. Isoform 2 is expressed at lower levels and detected in heart, brain, pancreas, liver, placenta, skeletal muscle and kidney.