Catalyzes ATP-dependent import of organic anions such as taurocholate and estrone sulfate. In vitro, also imports ochratoxin A. Also mediates cholesterol efflux independent of apolipoprotein, and plays a role in sphingomyelin production in oligodendrocytes.; Catalyzes ATP-dependent efflux of cholesterol and taurocholate. Interaction with ABCA1 potentiates cholesterol efflux to lipid-free APOA1, which regulates high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels.
|Gene References into Functions
- ABCA8 facilitates cholesterol efflux and modulates HDL-cholesterol levels. PMID: 28882873
- Genes ABCC7, A3, A8, A12, and C8 prevailed among the most upregulated or downregulated ones. In conclusion, the results supported our theory about general adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette gene expression profiles and their importance for cancer on clinical as well as research levels PMID: 28468577
- These data suggest a direct relationship between the levels of ABCA8 and the ectopic expression of alpha-syn and increased expression of p25alpha PMID: 23948991
- ABCA8 is highly expressed in human brain and regulates lipid metabolism in oligodendrocytes, potentially playing a role in myelin formation and maintenance. PMID: 23560799
- SLC2A1/GLUT1, SLC1A3/EAAT1, and SLC1A2/EAAT2 were the main SLC proteins whereas ABCG2/BCRP, ABCB1/MDR1, ABCA2 and ABCA8 were the main ABC quantified in isolated brain microvessels PMID: 21707071
- Functional analysis of the transport properties of ABCA8. PMID: 12379217
||Cell membrane; Multi-pass membrane protein. Basolateral cell membrane.
||ABC transporter superfamily, ABCA family
||Widely expressed with higher expression in heart, skeletal muscle and liver. Highly expressed in the superior frontal white matter and inferior temporal white matter.