Cell adhesion protein that promotes the attachment of spinal cord and sensory neuron cells and the outgrowth of neurites in vitro. May contribute to the growth and guidance of axons in both the spinal cord and the PNS. Major factor for vascular smooth muscle cell.
|Gene References into Functions
- gene expression experiment revealed that CYP2B6, SPON1, and GSG1L can be activated concomitantly through a constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) activation pathway PMID: 27010727
- SPON1 promotes metastatic progression through Fak and Src dependent pathway in human osteosarcoma. PMID: 26032498
- These data suggest that SPON1 may be associated with the differential rate of cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease. PMID: 23535033
- High SPON1 expression is associated with high-grade gliomas. PMID: 24158112
- Genome-wide scan of healthy human connectome discovers SPON1 gene variant influencing dementia severity PMID: 23471985
- downregulates osteoclast recruitment to the root side of periodontal tissue via low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 8 and inhibits differentiation of osteoclastic precursors PMID: 21488757
- These findings indicate that F-spondin regulates the differentiation of human cementoblast-like cells via BMP7 expression. PMID: 22244873
- The unique feature of F-spondin FS domain is the presence of three disulfide bonds associated with the N- and C-termini of the domain and a highly conserved N-linked glycosylation site. PMID: 21569239
- expression profile of VSGP/F-spondin identifies this molecule as a potential diagnostic marker or target for developing therapeutic strategies to treat ovarian carcinoma PMID: 16103746
- identified F-spondin as a promoting factor for cementoblastic differentiation PMID: 16965763
- The crystal structure of the reelin-N domain resolved to 2.0 A reveals a variant immunoglobulin-like fold and potential heparin-binding sites. PMID: 18602404
- These studies identify F-spondin as a novel protein in osteoarthritis cartilage, where it may act in situ at lesional areas to activate latent TGF-beta and induce cartilage degradation. PMID: 18780763
||Secreted, extracellular space, extracellular matrix.
||Highest expression in lung, lower expression in brain, heart, kidney, liver and testis, and lowest expression in pancreas, skeletal muscle and ovary. Not expressed in spleen.