||Induces apoptosis through a caspase dependent pathway. Reduces mitochondrial membrane potential.
|Gene References into Functions
- Upregulated expression of AIFM3 is associated with cholangiocarcinoma. PMID: 27473083
- The expression of apoptosis-inducing factor was identified in pineal gland and thymus, but it did not change with age. PMID: 22550867
- AIFM3 is a direct target of miR-210 in human hepatoma cells. PMID: 22387901
- AIFL has 598 amino acids, with a characteristic Rieske domain and a pyridine nucleotide-disulfide oxidoreductase domain (Pyr_redox). AIFL shares 35% homology with AIF, mainly in the Pyr_redox domain. PMID: 15764604
- AIF maintains the transformed state of colon cancer cells through its NADH oxidase activity, by mechanisms that involve complex I function. PMID: 16001080
- H. pylori triggers apoptosis in AGS cells via interaction with death receptors in the plasma membrane, leading to the cleavage of procaspase-8, release of cytochrome c and AIF from mitochondria, and activation of subsequent downstream apoptotic events PMID: 19166416
||FAD-dependent oxidoreductase family
||Ubiquitous. Expressed in bone marrow, cerebral cortex, liver, ovary, thymus, thyroid gland and tongue (at protein level).