Catalyzes the formation of the signaling molecule cAMP in response to G-protein signaling. Participates in signaling cascades triggered by odorant receptors via its function in cAMP biosynthesis. Required for the perception of odorants. Required for normal sperm motility and normal male fertility. Plays a role in regulating insulin levels and body fat accumulation in response to a high fat diet.
|Gene References into Functions
- This study showed that subjects carrying the G allele of the rs10182181 polymorphism may benefit more in terms of weight loss and improvement of body composition measurements when undertaking a hypocaloric low-fat diet as compared to a moderately-high-protein diet. PMID: 29921800
- In peripheral organs, AC3 is present mainly in primary cilia in cells of the mesenchymal lineage. In epithelia, the apical cilium of renal and pancreatic tubules and of ductal plate in liver is AC3-negative whereas the cilium of basal cells of stratified epithelia is AC3-positive. Using fibroblasts cell culture, we show that AC3 appears at the plasma membrane of the primary cilium as soon as this organelle develops. PMID: 28122017
- Similar results were obtained after sustained stimulation with NKH477 to directly activate adenylyl cyclase PMID: 25431134
- The association signal of height-adjusted BMI at ADCY3 appeared to be driven by a missense variant and it was strongly correlated with expression of this gene. PMID: 25044758
- Data demonstrate that the expression of ADCY3 is regulated through an epigenetic mechanism. PMID: 24113161
- endoplasmic reticulum calcium store operated cAMP production occurred preferentially via the adenylate cyclase 3 PMID: 22681560
- Genetically mutated serine(1076) of adenylyl cyclase III (ACIII) affects neither the cilial localization nor expression level of ACIII in olfactory sensory neurons. PMID: 23077041
- This study suggested that the adenylate cyclase 3 (ADCY3, 2p23.3) related to major depressive disorder. PMID: 21042317
- Data show that AC3 genetic polymorphisms are associated with decreased risk of obesity among adults but not in children in a Chinese Han population. PMID: 21079816
- identified AC3as the predominant AC isoform in human platelets, the activity of which may affect the extent and duration of the net aggregation response by modulating deaggregation PMID: 12623444
- expression of nodular ADCY6, but not ADCY3, was lower than the expression of both in perinodular tissue, which may be part of the mechanisms occurring in the hyperfunctioning nodules PMID: 12782409
- Establishment of the mature glomerular array in transgenic mice requires adenylyl cyclase 3, a key component of the odorant receptor-mediated cyclic AMP-dependent signaling cascade. PMID: 17581954
- This the first evidence that AC3 polymorphisms confer the risk susceptibility to obesity in Swedish men with and without type 2 diabetes. PMID: 17895882
- These results suggest that the length of primary cilia is controlled, at least in part, by the adenylate cyclase III-cAMP signaling pathway. PMID: 19576885
||Cell membrane; Multi-pass membrane protein. Cytoplasm. Cell projection, cilium. Golgi apparatus.
||Adenylyl cyclase class-4/guanylyl cyclase family
||Detected in zona glomerulosa and zona fasciculata in the adrenal gland (at protein level). Expressed in brain, heart, kidney, liver, lung, pancreas islets, placenta, and skeletal muscle. Detected in testis.