||It is a plasma membrane-associated GTP-binding protein with GTPase activity. Might transduce growth inhibitory signals across the cell membrane, exerting its effect through an effector shared with the Ras proteins but in an antagonistic fashion.
|Gene References into Functions
- Equilibrium dissociation constants were determined for the binding of HRAS, KRAS, NRAS and RRAS2 to the RAS binding (RB) domain of binding proteins. PMID: 27936046
- R-Ras2 has a role in both primary breast tumorigenesis and the late metastatic steps of cancer cells in the lung parenchyma. PMID: 24826867
- R-RAS2 is overexpressed in the early stages of malignancy in tumors of the human central nervous system. PMID: 24148564
- This article is the first study demonstrating expression of TC21 in human skin malignant tumors and suggests that TC21 is more expressed in highly aggressive skin tumors. PMID: 21781067
- Suggest that TC21 promotes cell motility and metastasis by regulating the expression of E-cadherin and N-cadherin in hepatocellular carcinoma and is associated with tumor progression and poor prognosis in HCC. PMID: 20811707
- RasGRF GEFs can activate TC21 in all sublocalizations except the Golgi complex. Farnesylated TC21 can be activated by RasGRF1 & RasGRF2, but geranylgeranylated TC21 is unresponsive to RasGRF2. PMID: 19692568
- TGF-beta and TC21 have roles in tumorigenesis PMID: 17656362
- TC21 directly links antigen receptors to PI(3)K-mediated survival pathways. PMID: 19561613
|Involvement in disease
||Ovarian cancer (OC)
||Cell membrane, Lipid-anchor, Cytoplasmic side
||Small GTPase superfamily, Ras family
||Ubiquitously present in all tissues examined, with the highest levels in heart, placenta, and skeletal muscle. Moderate levels in lung and liver; low levels in brain, kidney, and pancreas.