Cytokine that binds to TNFRSF1A/TNFR1 and TNFRSF1B/TNFBR. It is mainly secreted by macrophages and can induce cell death of certain tumor cell lines. It is potent pyrogen causing fever by direct action or by stimulation of interleukin-1 secretion and is implicated in the induction of cachexia, Under certain conditions it can stimulate cell proliferation and induce cell differentiation. Induces insulin resistance in adipocytes via inhibition of insulin-induced IRS1 tyrosine phosphorylation and insulin-induced glucose uptake. Induces GKAP42 protein degradation in adipocytes which is partially responsible for TNF-induced insulin resistance. Plays a role in angiogenesis by inducing VEGF production synergistically with IL1B and IL6.; The TNF intracellular domain (ICD) form induces IL12 production in dendritic cells.
|Gene References into Functions
- The aim of the study was to assess the prognostic significance of Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha, Interleukin-12(p40), Interleukin-6 and Interleukin 10 levels in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in sheep with encephalitic listeriosis. PMID: 25817420
- The p38 MAPK inhibitor decreased (P < 0.01) gene expression of TNFa but its effect was not observed at the level of TNFa protein synthesis PMID: 24995301
- TNF-alpha gene expression in multifidus was greater on both sides in the disc lesion animals than in the muscle of control animals. PMID: 24718080
- Injection of peptidoglycan-polysaccharide resulted in fever, increased concentrations of TNF-alpha on the day of and the day after challenge, and decreased concentrations of progesterone on days 14 and 21. PMID: 20603027
- These data are consistent with the effects of LPS on GH secretion originating through peripheral cytokine presentation to the pituitary, as well as a potential to act directly on selective populations of pituitary cells via CD14. PMID: 15899940
- plasma IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha and MCP-1 may potentially serve as markers to monitor prognosis of pregnancy toxaemia in ewes PMID: 17221363
||Cell membrane; Single-pass type II membrane protein.; [Tumor necrosis factor, membrane form]: Membrane; Single-pass type II membrane protein.; [Tumor necrosis factor, soluble form]: Secreted.; [C-domain 1]: Secreted.; [C-domain 2]: Secreted.
||Tumor necrosis factor family